Yes, you read it right. Today in the AGM of Jio, Mukesh Ambani unveiled the JioPhone which will be available for an effective price of ₹0 INR.
As an account of Indian Independence Day which is on August 15th, 2017 the JioPhone will be available for pre beta testing.
It is the first time I had goosebumps watching a technology media news. I would say it’s a revolutionary digital freedom for all Indians.
Some of the highlights of the AGM are listed below:
- Jio completed 100 Million users in 170 days which is a world record.
- India has a whopping increase in data usage, that is from 20 crores Gb to 120 crore GB.
- India has made its position in the top, by becoming the number #1 Mobile data consuming nation.
- Jio has also made a World record of migrating the highest number of users from free to paid services.
- It migrated more than 100 Million users from free to paid services.
- Jio will be covering 99% of the country’s population with 4G coverage in the upcoming years.
- Alphanumeric keypad.
- 4-way navigation button.
- Compact design.
- Battery and charger with the phone.
- SD card slot available.
- Headphone jack.
- FM radio
- JioPhone is pre loaded with 22 Indian languages.
- Just speak to the phone, and the phone will recognize your voice in any language and will do the required task for you.
- For an example, you can just say ” Call Akash” and the phone will dial the number of Akash from your contacts list.
- It comes with pre loaded Jio apps like JioTV, Jio music, etc;
- NFC support will be available via OTA in the future updates.
- Tap the phone at billing counter at any stores and money will be deducted from the linked bank account, pay any bills via NFC.
- Software updates will be via OTA.
- Information access at fingertips.
- Digital life, Digital India.
- Free unlimited voice calls.
- Unlimited data in JioPhone.
- ₹153 per month plan, Jio Dhan Dhana Dhan offer. (It’s 3% of the existing 2G prices for featured phones)
- This plan will be only available for featured JioPhone.
- There is one more plan at ₹309 per month for more high-speed 4G data.
- You can connect your JioPhone to any television. (Works on old CRT Tv’s as well)
- Mirror the screen of JioPhone to the Tv and enjoy Cinema with a bigger screen.
- It is the first 4G VoLte feature phone in the world.
- Enjoy 3-4 hours of cable TV in your JioPhone daily with the ₹309 plan.
- Sachets for an affordable price, ₹24 for 2 days and ₹54 for a week.
JioPhone will be available at ₹0 effective net price.
But for security reasons, one must pay a fully refundable deposit of ₹1500 per featured JioPhone. It will be a one time cost. And will be refunded after 3 years.
It’ll be available on 15th August for pre testing beta users.
On August 24th It will be available for pre booking and for the pre booked users the phone will be available to use in the month of September.
Last quarter of this year the phone will be available for all the citizens of India,
The phone will be manufactured in India. A target of manufacturing 5 Million phones every week has been set.
Mukesh Ambani also stated that they were working on Jio Optic fiber broadband and It’ll be available soon in the market.
The images of the AGM is below, have a look at them.